View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Ah, Lush and Helen, you have both touched my heart with your wit and insight. Indeed, there will be so many of us with one-year anniversaries in the next few months that we will probably flood the place with our testimonials! Here are my own thoughts, a mere two months ahead of time.

Like you, Helen, I am soft on sailing ships and imprisoned hobbits and shapechangers whose presence is sorely missed. Also younger sons of Edain heritage who have black hair and grey eyes, and a hobbit named Cami Goodchild who turns up in the strangest stories.

Thanks to a Books Forum which has often challenged me to refine or defend my own ideas, and given me a clearer image of many of Tolkien's characters, especially those from the Silm and HoMe, books that were a blank slate to me before stumbling in here.

I am grateful for a site that has given me the chance to write again for the first time in a looooooong while. Not the critical writing, which has always been a regular part of my personal and professional life, but rather the tales of dragons and hobbits and Elves.

More recently, I am grateful for my magic staff in the Shire which has brought me into contact with many good folk who love Tolkien and who are trying to craft well written stories.

Yes, Lush, I agree that the head honcho deserves many, many kudos for his faith in starting a place like this, and then having the gumption to adapt yet maintain high standards as the winds of change and PJ blew briskly over the Downs.

Also, to those faithful mods and admins who put in much hard work.

Diversity - I love it, whether geography, age, or even theology.

And a gracious nod to my partner at the Green Dragon Inn who has put in endless hours to make things easier for the folks posting there, and who can certainly never be accused of acting in a predictable or boring way!

And I will even admit a weakness for a scamp named Gamba who, as we speak, is wandering about the forests of Greenwood (or was that Mirkwood?), probably getting into trouble.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]