View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #18
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Mithuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithuial
Sting

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I can praise the book until your ears fall off, but I would like to quote someone that wrote a response to the book a long time ago. Now he's old, and wise, and this is what he said, "The book is truth, it is struggle, it is triumph, it is all the emotions that exist in humanity. It is magical, it is a world of dreams, it is beauty, it is perfection. But more than all that it is an epic. What does that mean? What is the power in that word? To me an epic is a work that will never die. A work that will live though all the rest of our society may fall. Tolkien has a little bit of immortality by writing this book, because it, unlike him, is ageless. Now, when I list epic authors I always think Shakespeare, Homer, and Tolkien. His book is a part of me; it is a part of all of us." Thanks for listening. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.
Mithuial is offline   Reply With Quote