View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #136
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tharonwë rose. "The storm has abated. We will leave here now."

Roy eased Indil to her feet and rose also. "We will not leave."

The Elf's eyes narrowed and he seemed to grow taller. "Do not try to hinder me, or it will go ill with you."

"It will not."

Tharonwë was unsettled by the certainty in Roy Edwards' voice. Perhaps he had indeed changed. How he had been able to withstand Tharonwë's osanwë, he did not know; but he had. If he could not overcome him directly, then he would use other means.

"Then it will go ill with the girl, and that shall be on your head, for I will not be hindered."

Roy stepped sideways to Indil even as Tharonwë was speaking, and picked her up into his arms.

"I will not let you harm the girl."

This was getting irritating, thought Tharonwë. He let out an exasperated huff of air. "Do you really think you can stop me, fool?" His voice was more shrill than he expected. He lifted his arm and pointed at the two of them to aid his mind's will over them. "You will walk ahead of me. Now!"

Roy did not move. He could feel the will trying to impose itself upon him, but he was determined not to give in. How shall I act?
Give no quarter.
Uncertainty vanished. "Tharonwë, you have no power nor authority over me nor Indil. The reverse is true, though you do not comprehend it. For this reason I was sent here. You will remain until the others arrive."

Tharonwë stiffened. "I will not!" Yet the certainty in Roy Edwards' voice betrayed a force of will the like of which Tharonwë had never faced. He used his osanwë to attempt to pierce and so perceive it, but was forced back and recoiled. Yet even as he recoiled, he perceived a light and power - a fëa? - that was not Roy Edwards yet lay in him and was linked with Roy's own fëa. A Maia?

"No, Tharonwë," Roy said, "not a Maia. You cannot comprehend. This is beyond you. But as you can see, I have a power greater than yours. So don't fight. Sit down and wait."

Tharonwë shook his head, dumbfounded. And he sat down. He had much to think on.