View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #51
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Throwing another half-song onto the field: this one was hard! I forgot how fast Beren and Luthien sing.
So - interesting! Nargothrond kinda fell under your radar as a plot song, and this one fell under mine. My mind glossed over it as "well yeah it's there", but I didn't really register it much beyond that. And because it's absent in V1 I barely know it and will have to listen to it again a few times to give any comments about the translation. I gave it a listen just now, and probably one of the reasons I avoided ever returning to this song is that here, more so than anywhere else, Mr. Fierce is just sooo not Beren, to the point that I have an itch to report him for sexual harassment on Luthien's behalf.

Quote:
I know there are syllables dropping all over the place, but I can't work out how many. I'd appreciate a pointer for any particularly egregious lines. I finally see what you mean about 'й' being a problem; it took me until right now to realise why Beren's 'the shadow is death' line wasn't matching up.
Ahhhh no, "й" is just the consonant "y", as in "boy". However, "ё" (yo) is the one often written as "e" (ye). Not sure what you mean about that line, since the vowel in "смерть" (death) is "ye" as written.

Quote:
As far as I can tell there's not a lot of rhyming in this song, but I'm worried there might be some strange internal rhymes floating around.
There is rhyming, but it seems to be separated by veeeery long lines, so it's difficult to catch. I promise to rewatch this song and get back to you on the editing, and I'll also do a rhythm/rhyme transcription. But first I'll address Finrod's Finale, which I actually know (and love).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I've been adding your translations to the Consolidated Version, by the way; let me know if you'd rather I didn't and I'll remove them.
Absolutely! Everything should be in one place. And then we can be all like "What! You can't tell which parts were mine, and which were the Dunadan's?" :P

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what an ashberry is, but I figured I'd let the Russians have that one.
Рябина is both rowan and wild ash (which I believe are actually the same trees). Their berries are very pretty, you can make all sorts of stuff out of them. They ripen late in the fall and you can eat them after they frost over, that's when they taste best apparently. I never tried them myself.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 07-10-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote