View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #219
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Menecin

He had a daughter, what would he say to her? He posed this question over and over in his mind as he silently let the dark haired she elf led him through the still gardens and to the front steps of the last house of the elves. He paused on the porch, as the sound of distant battle could still be heard and he looked back briefly wondering were Naiore was in all this.

"Come concern yourself not with distant battles, Vanwe is your concern and she will need you as much as I believe you need her," the elf at his side whispered, with a heavy sigh he pulled his weary gaze back to her and nodded. He stopped then, seeing her fully for the first time "You look so much like your mother!" he exclaimed. She smiled and nodded but not without a glimmer of sadness behind her grey eyes. Turning back to the house, she led him inside. Along the ornate hallways until they reached the central staircase that led to the first floor and the bell tower. However, they did not ascend these stairs; instead, they turned left following another passage, then left again to a flight of stairs that descended below the house. They stopped before a large heavy looking oak door. Elladan knocked hard upon the wood, almost at once a small hatch opened, and an elven guard peered through, in the next second, he heard the locks click open and watched as the door swung silently open.

"Any change?" Elohir asked, "No my lord, she is still the same." was the guards simple reply.

"She has not eaten or drunk and will speak to no one." Elladan explained seeing the bards puzzled frown.

As they stepped further into the room, he felt the elf at his arm tense, he followed her gaze towards the nearest cell, his heart pounded at the sight before him bent on the floor her gold spun hair hiding her lithe form, was the elf he had seen from his window... his daughter! As Elladan ordered her guard to open the door, he felt Léspheria let go of his arm and hurry forwards, to kneel beside the huddled elf. He froze in place as he watched Lespheria help Vanwe to her feet. Watching the concern etched on her face and the care with which she helped Vanwe. For an instant, he thought he was looking on Naiore and Valindon, before... he stopped suddenly in his thoughts as the young elf lifted her head and he found himself looking back into his own eyes. Clear and deep yet filled with so much pain and confusion, that it pulled at his fragile heart and the urge to hold her and tell her that it would be all right grew within him, even as his own fractured mind told him it was not, that Naiore was out there and likely looking for both of them.

Suddenly the elf before him faltered, weather from exhaustion or shock he could not be certain. However, instinct drove him forward and he caught her, if not awkwardly, in his arms. Her head nestled into his shoulder, her soft hair brushing his cheek and he tensed as fractured memories of Naiore, his Naiore assailed him. Nevertheless, he determinedly pushed them aside, this was not Naiore, she was his daughter, something else that Naiore had taken from him, but now she was here.… As he looked down on her silken hair he realised that she was sobbing, slowly he pulled her to arms length.

"You must tell them your name and your reason for being here, my daughter!" he gently told her.

"My name is Vanwe," she answered through parched dry lips, looking around he saw the untouched cup of water, reaching for it he urged her to drink, which she slowly did.

"She told me that you where a prisoner here and sent me to come get you out!" Vanwe sobbed breaking down before him.

"Oh! My dear child what has she done to you?" he whispered sympathetically, "tell me everything, no matter how bad you think the telling will be." He then listened with a mixture of horror and anger as Vanwe retold the events of the past few weeks, with Léspheria adding the parts yet unknown to the younger elf.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-18-2004 at 07:43 AM.