View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #84
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There was almost always a handful of men about the hall who had volunteered to help find Lady Linduial. Haleth called to them as they passed through the building and yard to the stable and as Léof came hurrying out in answer to Eodwine’s call, Haleth explained to them what was happening and what they had heard. He and Eodwine then for a moment stood speaking together and finally, Eodwine turned to Léof.

“How many horses are there?” Eodwine asked him.

“Fifteen, sir,” he replied at once.

“Good. We’ll need twelve saddled now.”

“Aye, sir,” Léof said, turning immediately and running back into the stables.

“Some of you go and help him,” Haleth ordered. Thornden and three others went into the stables after Léof.

Léof already had four horses out and tied in the aisle. None more could be brought out a present, and he was in the tack room fetching the saddles and bridles. The horses, under Léof’s good care, were all well groomed and entirely prepared for saddling and riding. No one spoke as they worked. In minutes, the four horses were saddled and led out, and in another moment, four more were led out and tied as well.

In ten minutes twelve horses stood in the hall’s courtyard. Thornden led Flíthaf to Eodwine. Thornden then mounted his own horse and glanced around. Everyone had mounted and the two extra horses’ reins were tied to two men’s saddles. They started out immediately, going two by two. Haleth and Eodwine rode in front, Garstan and Thornden rode behind them and the six others came behind.

At the gates they halted. Haleth dismounted to speak with Lystholn. When he had finished explaining, Lystholn spoke.

“So. . .you are going out after this Sorn fellow?”

“Well, I am not. I am going to the Queen, but Lord Eodwine with the men behind him now and you and Deren are.”

“I am, sir?” Haleth nodded. Lystholn paused briefly. “Very well,” he said. “That is why you have two extra horses, I suppose?”

So it was. In a moment, Deren and Lystholn were up on their horses. Eodwine and Haleth bid each other farewell, Haleth wishing Eodwine good speed. Eodwine nodded and turned his horse’s head towards the gates.

Deren fell into line at the rear of the party. Beneath him his horse pranced and tossed his head, full of spirit, energy, and excitement. That same excitement pulsed through Deren’s veins.

‘Finally,’ he thought, ‘we are on the scent. Days of waiting have finally pulled off and we’re onto something.’

The wind was fresh in their faces as they left the city walls. One of the horses whinnied. Flíthaf’s head came up and he gave a great, trumpeting answer before leaping forward and leading the way over the wide open grass land.