View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 08:06 AM   #32
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

The Innkeeper led Delia upstairs, the hallway now scented with a pleasant aroma from the sprigs the young girl had placed atop the door lintels.

Then, lifting a large key from the many which hung from her waistband, Bęthberry opened the door to a large closet, really a small room, to reveal piles of sheets, pillows and pillow cases, comforters, blankets, wash basins and water jugs, even chamber pots. Spare mattresses as well.

"Here, Delia, are the supplies you will need to prepare the rooms. Perhaps you can get Tar or Talen to help you lift the heavier items. I will unlock the six rooms at the end of the hallway and open the shutters to air them out. We don't usually use them, but perhaps we will have more overnight guests this eve."

Then, the rooms opened and aired, Bęthberry returned to the kitchen, now a veritable hive of activity not just with action but with Froma' stinging exhortations as well, and spoke briefly with the irrascible cook. She took from him the long menu to be posted in the mead hall and then turned to Mia and Iswyn.

"Mia, could you please pile clean tankards and glasses on the bar and the large buffet in the mead hall? Oh, and, we will need extra help washing dishes for tonight. Iswyn, could you find several of the older children who might be relied upon to help you wash? Five silver coins to each child who helps--really helps--without any breakage."

Finally, returning to the entrance hall where her desk lay covered with table cloths and napkins, Bęthberry came upon the shy young woman Frodides.

"Please, Ma'am, are you Bęthberry the Innkeeper?" the woman curtsied. "Would you have need of any more help here? I am Frodides and I am good at cleaning and serving. You've hired my husband, Leofan, as stable hand." Two young girls hid behide her long skirt.

Bęthberry looked the woman over. Her clothes were neat but worn, obviously second and third hand. Hesitation and care marked her eyes. A small smile spread over the Innkeeper's face.

"Well, now, it seems I have inherited the entire family. You've a need for honest work and I've a need for good help. I liked your husband's face and now yours as well, despite your habit of serial application." Bęthberry's grin widened.

"Well, I like cleverness as much as honesty, and am even more pleased when the two meet. Yes, Frodides, I'll take you on, as serving maid in the mead hall. Keep your eyes and wits about you, though, for patrons come in all shapes and sorts and mind none trick you with leaving 'er they show you their penny for their potage. And there's a passle of children out behind the kitchen garden. Mayhap your bairns will find friends there."

The Innkeeper then turned to the large bulletin board and posted Froma's menu for the party:

Dandelion Salad
Marinated Asparagus
Swiss chard, chick pea, sweet pepper and bulgar salad
Fig, Arugula and walnut Salad, with Goat cheese
Mixed Greens

Spitted Side of Beef
Chicken and Leek pies
Grilled Lamb chops
Baked trout with raisin stuffing

Parsnip patties
Salmon stuffed potato skins
Lentil, carrot and onion casserole