View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #24
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was SO happy to see all the screentime my lovely Pippin got! The scene in which Gandalf talks about death as the next great journey was, to me, an homage to the flashing scenes and indescribable joy of the experience of Pippin's seeing beyond at the Black Gate in the book, as he hears the Eagles and fades from the world underneath the troll he has slain...although the scene was not included, I account this an homage that takes into it the spirit of the hobbits and of Pippin in particular...I am very pleased! (I understand this is the description of what Frodo sees as he sails West, but to describe it to Pippin at this point adds yet another sublime dimension to it!) <P>Pippin shines beyond my wildest hopes in this one, and although I never accounted him simple "comic relief" I was so glad to see him flower! The palantir scene was, IMO, a little over the top, though, and it is not made perfectly clear <I>why</I> "He" (Sauron) is supposed to think the Pippin has the Ring. (Luckily I've read the book a million times and already knew!) But I think there are scenes to be added there, or I hope so, to make this clear.<P>And I think the term "Billybopper" is an apt one! What a guy! (I went to the film twice with a Leggybopper, but she didn't know the term until I called her that!)<P>More later!<BR>Cheers!<BR>Lyta<P>[ 12:41 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]<p>[ 12:45 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote