View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #177
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
If you think the above is evil, then supporting orcs is immoral.
I was only interested in this argument about the case when supporting evil characters is related to delighting in these evil acts.
Quote:
I don't think orc-rape is mentioned anywhere
I am not specifically interested in orcs, although Tolkien reffers to orcs raping in the Lay of Luthien (although some may equate that with plunder). More to the point, Tolkien speculated Melkor forced humans to mate with animals.
Quote:
The Elves also seem susceptible to unnecessary killings - the Kinslayings, for example.
I don't think we can extend that to the "elves". We don't know who started the actual fighting, and it was all down to Feanor, who drove his men on. Anyway, I was thinking of killing for the sake of killing when I said "unnecessary".

Faramir describes the rohirrim as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Window on the West, TTT
For as the Rohirrim do, we now love war and valour as things good in themselves, both a sport and an end
however, I am not aware that the rohirrim or the gondorians went out to kill just for the sake of it. But if they did, the same standard I have been arguing throughout this thread would apply to them too.
Quote:
The Elves like to plunder - the Noldo rebellion was partly out of yearning for new kingdoms, not to mention the lust for silmarils and other precious things.
The elves love to plunder? How so? Yearning for new kingdoms does not amount to that. I am not aware that they took any land by force from anyone, or that they dispossesed. Also the silmarils were theoretically theirs. As for other things, I don't know what you mean.
Quote:
Interesting that this seems to be something that fallen Elves do not partake in, though they're all too happy to murder.
All too happy to murder? Where is this particular trait described? If anything, at least their healers avoid this, since it reduces their abilities.