View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #186
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
The elves contained Melkor in northern Middle Earth, preventing/limiting his nihilistic frenzy. They were also instrumental in defeating Sauron at the end of the first age; that some of them were deceived by Sauron doesn't amount to a group blame. Also, the little men saving their behinds were not so innocent when they attacked Valinor, or when they served Sauron or Melkor throughout the centuries.
As not all elves are responsible for what happened, niether did all Men serve darkness. And Melkor did not need containment in Middle Earth- he fled from the Valar after stealing the Silmarils (made by an elf) to increase his power. It had already been shown that he could not defeat the Valar. As for the defeat of Sauron and Morgoth, Men were just as instrumental. Not mention, there would have never been a problem with the Ring if the Elves hadn't shown him how to do it. And it wasn't just a few Elves that were fooled into trusting him. Celeborn was one of the few who didn't.

Quote:
I have asked this before: what general moral principles from LotR could not be applied in real world - or, at least, are not suited to you?
Personally, none. I'm Christian (not Catholic) and I find the morals principals quite well suited to me. However, it does not make the LOTR a moral authority. (It's not the Bible or any other religious scripture, for heaven's sake.) The presence of religious themes has been debated upon elsewhere, and it's not what this topic is about.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote