View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #25
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Prior to my knowledge of the Downs it was difficult for me to find anyone, other than my little brother who I annoy with Tolkien, who shared a passion for Tolkien's writings.
I had the same problem, I stumbled on the Downs serching for a track list for the Return of the King soundtrack, which my Papa gave me a copy. I had no one that had any knowledge of Tolkien at all to talk to before 2nd, August, 2007!
Quote:
We got Finns, Swedes, British, Czechs, Russians, Americans, Texans, even people from the Phillipines.
Don't forget your Alaskans!

I love the Barrow-Downs first and foremost because it is a Tolkien site, and I can discuss my favourite books here in humour and seriousness! I love that we can make jokes here about books that can be almost treated as sacrosanct!

I love the fact that I can talk to real people from all over the world, I've learned a lot from my stay here, not just about Arda, but about other cutures (mainly the British one) and new spellings (which I use outside of the BD as well) and have gotten myself hobbies *coughDoctorWhocough* which I wouldn't have if not for certain members *coughHookbillcough* who were constantly talking about them. I've also made new friends that I'd much rather talk to than my real life friends (excepting Laurinque)!

I don't hang around the Books forum much, but when I do get there I find useful things to know, and comment when I can. Although I am not learned in lore like some members, who can probably ramble on for hours about Tolkien, I might be able to chime in with some useful information sometimes.

I also love the fact that the Barrow-Downs is black and green, and much more pleasing to come to than some other web sites that have bright colours that make my eyes hurt.

Last, but not least, I love the way that your fellow BDers welcome you with open arms, and you can make your home here, with little to no problems! I've been here for a little more than a year, and it still feels like it was yesterday that I joined! I remember my earlier days where I was a bit snobby, and thought I knew a lot, just because I had read the Lord of the Rings, but figured out that I didn't!