View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #20
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't care for this portrayal at all. The most notable problem, I think, is the complete lack of the Palantir. Wasn't the Palantir (or rather Sauron's control of it) the source of his madness, his despair? So, where was it? Without it, he's just another mean, crazy old man.<P>Then there is also the eating scene. This man 'in whom the blood of Numenor runs nearly true' as Gandalf says, this Steward of Gondor, born and raised with all the courtesy befitting a high office in the most prominent kingdom of men in all Middle Earth consumed his meal like a trailer-trash drunk at a county fair pie-eating contest. I half expected him to pass wind in the middle of Pippin's beautiful song.<P>Granted, these changes made it easier to believe that Gandalf could bludgeon Denethor with his staff in front of the soldiers of Gondor and not only not be challenged, but be obeyed when he barks out an order.<P>All in all, I'd have to agree with Meela (though probably for different reasons). Not Enough Denethor! What I mean is that I needed to see a scene with the palantir. I needed some reason for him to be as crazy as he was.