View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #41
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short
MUCH too short! Even at over 1,000 pages, I want the story (like the road) to "go ever on and on". I guess that's why we all read the books over and over (and over and over again). We love these people and places, so even though there are no "new" tales, we keep coming back to visit. We read the commentaries, the companions, Tolkein's letters, his biography, his writings that were not published during his lifetime, and contemplate artists' views, study maps and learn the languages of this world he created, so that we can maintain our presence in this wondrous place.

There is nothing I would omit. There is much that I would like added or expanded upon. But this world is my home, filled with family and lifelong friends. Returning to ME is like returning to your childhood home and finding everything unchanged, just as you remember it.