View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 PM   #16
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
and i do not think that gil-galad and elendil had gone to war with the dark lord with the intention of taking away the ring from him ,so isildur did ot know the power of the ring
Indeed, Isildur did not know the depth of the Ring's powers, but he did come to realize them as he kept the Ring thereafter. In "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields," in the Unfinished Tales, Isildur confides to his son Elendur that he means to take the Ring to Rivendell, as he knows within himself that he is incapable of holding this burden and keeping it safe. He has claimed the Ring, but without full knowledge of the Ring itself, rather, he claims it in memory of his dead father and brother, as a symbolic payment (weregild).

As a side note, even though Sauron is defeated and the Ring severed from him, it still calls out to his servants, and it is suggested that this is how the orcs track the Men on their way to Rivendell and what finally spells Isildur's doom. Although Sauron himself is too weak to bring his direct power to bear on Isildur, his servants are ever drawn to the Dark Power and are directed toward it.

As for the tremors that ran through Barad-Dur, I think also that, since the foundations of this tower were said to have been built with the power of the Ring, once Frodo claimed it, he would have direct sway over the Tower itself (or he would perceive himself to have such.) This goes back to an old topic I posted on some time ago concerning the final temptation of Frodo after he claims the Ring. Tolkien, in his Letters, lines out the delusions that would bewitch Frodo after he claims the Ring at the Sammath Naur and how he would envision his own new benevolent realm, blinded to all else until the Nazgul barred the exit and Sauron came to claim his Ring (alternate scenario). The end of this scenario has Frodo as Sauron's gibbering slave and the Ring back where Sauron wants it--because once the Nazgul hemmed the hobbits in and Sauron reached the Ring, Frodo would be no match for him. But I wonder if the trembling towers and the power contained in the foundations of Barad-Dur all vibrated in Frodo's mind at the instant of the claiming of the Ring; he would have felt the power to make them stand or fall. Also, Sauron was in shock at realizing where his Ring was at that instant. I'm sure all the power he put forth to keep his realm running, his servants under his thumb, etc. was redirected at that instant, leaving everything else unsupervised.

Alas, I must attend to the problems of the day and leave this post where it is...I hope it provides some illumination!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote