View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #30
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
OK, one writer who I don't think has taken too much from Tolkien's world but has created (in my opinion) the second best fantasy story is Stephen King, and his Dark Tower series.

OK, so he admits himself he is influenced by Tolkien, but in the DT collection of books I cannot see too many references (if any) to Middle-earth.

Ok, so perhaps one! You could compare the rainbow stones to the Palantiri, but even THIS is a loose connection to me. The rainbow stones are far much MORE than the seeing stones in LOTR.

To me, the Dark Tower series of books is the 2nd best thing I have read to LOTR. And to me, Roland of Gilead is one of the best written characters I have ever read.

Another trilogy I haven't heard mentioned here, and I'm surprised about is Pullman's His Dark Materials. But I'm glad people don't see this work as original as I don't believe it is myself. It could be that Pullman himself has dissed LOTR (ie he's used the good old 'no characterisation' cliche about Tolkien), but I see many throwbacks to Tolkien's plot in Pullman's trilogy. For example, two main characters 'sacrifice' themselves in a position not unfamilliar with the cracks of doom and the last scene in the last book is very Grey Havens-like. (PS regarding Pullman's point on the lack of characterisation in lotr, the only character to me that stands out in his trilogy is Iorek Byrnison).
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote