Thread: Ask Elrond...
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ask Elrond...

There was a thread just before the Downs Downtime on Bomabadil which included a debate about what Elrond knew about him. I am not sure I want to get back into that since it got rather bad tempered, however it did occur to me that Master Elrond, the great lore master knew a lot about Middle Earth that his creator Tolkien didn't. It is one of the great strengths of Middle Earth, and for me a great joy, that it has been possible to explore via the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and HoME the vistas glimpsed in the works published in the author's life span, Nevertheless apart from the notorious Bombadil and Balrog wings there are various things that Tolkien either didn't ever mention, left incomplete or unreconciled: some of these must have logically been known to Elrond.

For example, and this will come as no surprise to those who frequent the same quizroom threads as me, I would love to know Gil-galad's parentage and indeed correct names. Yes I know the versions, that CRT regrets his choice for the published Silmarillion; but last word doesn't necessarily mean definitively final word, we know JRRT was scribbling notes pretty much to the end.

There are other things of course but I will wait until I have seen what, if anything piques the curiousity of others. What would you ask Elrond if you had the chance?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote