View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 01:01 PM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Kalessin --

Thanks for your perceptive post. We may not be as far apart in this matter as you think. I have posted on this topic in several threads, and had chosen not to go into detail here. This may have been an mistake. So let me back up and explain my thoughts.

This may be lengthy. I hope the Barrow-wight will not fine me for excessive "verbage."

Quote:
Yet I would question the rationalisation of Frodo's departure from the Grey Havens in the jargon of modern psychology...
I agree. This is what I meant when I said that the author of this article "may be a bit heavy-handed on the 'post traumatic stress disorder' theme." (hereafter cited as PTSD) Perhaps this needs to be stated more explicitly.

I have two objections to using such terminology. Like you, I have reservations about applying "impersonal theories of psychology that are part of the modern parlance".

I agree that Tolkien knew the reality of trauma and men afflicted by trauma, especially in the context of World War I and the battle of Somme in which he participated. The latter involved horrific slaughter. There were 50,000 British casualties in a single day, more than any other similar period of warfare in human history. (Fortunately, Tolkien's unit was being held in reserve and they came in a few days later to "clean up" this unbelievable carnage.)

I am certain that Piosenniel, as a nurse, would have seen heartwrenching examples of PTSD in Vietnam, and that there were parallels in behavior with Frodo. Having acknowledged this, I still believe that such terminology, and its corresponding framework, is not something Tolkien would comfortably use or identify
with.

Secondly, as a historian, I have a general aversion to seeing any individual--whether historical, literary, or legendary--reduced to a psychological cipher. I have read too much analysis which overlooks or denies the reality of ideas or ideals as a motivating force. Just look at the classic Freudian treatment of Martin Luther. And, yes, he was a character with problems, but there is more to him than an anal fixation!

What I do see is this.....

Regarding Grey Havens:

Quote:
In the narrative itself, it seems to me a true moment of quietness and reflective sadness, rather than grief.
Again, I agree. In my mind, Grey Havens is the result of Frodo going through a long period of suffering and coming to the realization that another path may allow him to heal and grow more fully than that of the Shire. He was, in effect, beginning to put grief behind him. How sad this realization must have been!

There is no doubt that, on the trip homeward, loss and grieving are there. And I think it is fair to use terms like these. Ancient and medieval man would have had no idea what PTSD was, but they were familiar with sorrow, grief, and grieving, just as they were familiar with the concept of stoicism. Given the complexity of human nature, these terms are not mutually exclusive.

So, to my mind, one can apply this frame in trying to understand Frodo's behavior. According to Websters, grief means "intense mental anguish; deep remorse; acute sorrow or the like." I definitely see this in Tolkien's writing.

While it may be a stretch to apply my own personal experience to Frodo's dilemma, it's hard not to do so. Both were basically issues of loss. And believe me when I say that some of the parallels were explicit. "Unreasoning self reproach"....that is all part and parcel of the loss of control in one's life and wondering "if only I had..."

But let's forget me and pass on to Tolkien who is admittedly more critical to this argument. Are you familiar with Letter 245 written in 1963? This is the author's assessmnt of Frodo's sorrow. Here Tolkien states that Frodo's inability to voluntarily dispose of the Ring was not a moral failure. He continues:

Quote:
But what Frodo himself felt about the event is quite another matter. He appears at first to have no sense of guilt; he was restored to sanity and peace. But then he thought he had given his sacrifice; he expected to die very soon. But he did not, and one can observe the disquiet growing in him. Arwen was the first to observe the signs, and gave him her jewel for comfort, and thought of a way of healing him (i.e. arranging passage to the West)
Tolkien continues:

Quote:
Slowly he fades 'out of the picture', saying and doing less and less. I think it is clear on reflection to an attentive reader that when his dark times came upon him and he was conscious of being 'wounded by knife sting tooth and a long burden' it was not only nightmare memories of past horrors that afflicted him but also unreasoning self-reproach; he saw himself and all he had done as a broken failure. 'Though I come to the Shire, it will not seem the same for I shall not be the same. That was actually a temptation out of the Dark, a last flicker of pride: desire to have returned as a 'hero', not content wih being a mere instrument of good. And it was mixed with another temptation, blacker and yet (in a sense) more merited, for however that may be explained, he had in fact not cast away the Ring by a voluntary act; he was tempted to regret its destruction, and still to desire it. 'It is gone forever and all is dark and empty.' he said as he wakened fom his sickness in 1420.
Tolkien tells us that it is for this reason that Frodo was allowed to sail to the West: "So he went both to a Purgatory and to a reward, for a while; a period of reflection and peace and a gaining of a truer understanding of his position in littleness and greatness, spent still in Time and the natural beauty of 'Arda Unmarred.'" The letter continues at length with details of Frodo's illness and how he finally came to the decision to depart.

Tolkien's words seem to implicitly confirm that Frodo is dealing with issues of guilt, sorrow, and loss, both human and spiritual in nature.

Finally, there is an issue I want to mention. Another reason I am uncomfortable with the PTSD essay is that the author focuses only on the negative factors in Frodo's decision, those elements which drove him to grief and despair.

But, as Tolkien clearly states, the West is not only Purgatory. It is also a reward. And it is this that I think many of us overlook with our sadness at the character's departure. As I stated in my first post, Frodo, who had become a prophet and seer (have tons of quote and examples, but don't want to get into that here) had so much in his character that needed and wanted more than the Shire could give. We are so tuned to the beautiful things of this world that it is easy for us to overlook something even more wondrous but which is beyond our limited comprehension. Frodo's first alluring glimpse of the distant shore as the ship comes out of a sheet of rain captures some of that feeling.

I was really hoping posters would identify and discuss some of those positives that underlay Frodo's yearning for the West and the Sea, even aside from character's need for healing and understanding.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps.

Sharon, the 7th age hobbit