View Single Post
Old 01-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #34
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Merisuwyniel had ample opportunity to become more closely acquainted with her travelling companions in the long days that followed. Despite the phenomenal pace of their illustrious steeds, they did not progress as rapidly as they could have, since the donkey stubbornly chose its own speed. Pettygast did manage, by some means (magick markers, perhaps?), to keep him going in the general direction of the group, lagging behind only slightly.

In the evenings, when they set up camp, the heroes practiced their fighting skills in friendly competition with one another. Merisuwyniel would have liked to continue her lessons in sword-handling, but Halfullion had refused, muttering something about “too many spectators”. She had to content herself with shooting arrows at trees, which were then hewn for firewood by Kuruharan’s mighty axe. Occasionally Vogonwë joined her in target practice, but for the most part, he could be found musing over his parchment or conversing with the horses.

Pimpiowyn had never in her life needed a weapon, but all agreed that she should at least be able to defend herself. Kuruharan produced a dagger of just the right size from his packs of goods and sold it to her. After she overcame her hesitance, she was eager to learn to use it and gained considerable skill. It was a beautiful blade, slender and supple; no doubt prompted by Wylkynsion, Earnur volunteered to practice with her frequently.

One evening, as all were enjoying the comradeship of activities after a good meal, Merisuwyniel looked up at the sky with furrowed brows.

“What do you see?” asked Halfullion, who was gazing admiringly at the curve of her shapely cheekbones.

“I am not sure,” she answered. “There appear to be black birds flying in this direction. Are there ravens here?”

Quoth Voronwë, “Nevermore!”

All stared at him, wondering over the dramatic utterance of the Poe-t.

“I too have Elven eyes,” he said somewhat sullenly. “And I say they are Crebain from Dunland.”

“That cannot be – wrong game!” Halfullion exclaimed.

“Indeed, they turn aside,” observed Merisuwyniel.

“They fly toward the fortress of EmCeeEm in Rohan, no doubt,” Orogarn Two stated.

“Yet others come, and they turn not aside,” Merisuwyniel continued. “Ai! These are Kiwi-banes from Down-Under!”

“Everyone hide!” Halfullion shouted. The ensuing scramble was made considerably more complicated by the fact that Chrysophylax was much too large to hide, so that they quickly tossed some branches over him to camouflage the dragon. All held very still, hoping that danger would soon pass.

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'