View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 09:58 AM   #23
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
HerenIstarion wrote:
Quote:
I always had a notion that houseless fëar dwelling in the Barrows where trying to take over and posses the hröar of the hobbits.
This was always my impression as well. The quote you're thinking of is, I believe, from "Laws and Customs among the Eldar" in HoMe X (p. 224):

Quote:
Some say that the Houseless desire bodies, though they are not willing to seek them lawfully by submission to the judgement of Mandos. The wicked among them will take bodies, if they can, unlawfully. The peril of communing with them is, therefore, not only the peril of being deluded by fantasies or lies: there is peril also of destruction. For one of the hungry Houseless, if it is admitted to the friendship of the Living, may seek to eject the fea from its body; and in the contest for mastery the body may be gravely injured, even if it be not wrested from its rightful inhabitant. Or the Houseless may plead for shelter, and if it is admitted, then it will seek to enslave its host and use both his will and his body for its own purposes. It is said that Sauron did these things, and taught his followers how to achieve them.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote