View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 04:59 PM   #43
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
Sting

Ah, Cim, how did I know you'd nickname me "Amy"? I think I'll call you..."Barky". hehe [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Of course I can cook!" Amaranth exclaimed indignantly. "What do you think the first thing my mother taught me was?"
Barocas shrugged a little sheepishly. It was, after all, a very obvious question. "It was only a question," he muttered.
They'd reached the ponies and the next few minutes were spent rearranging the baggage so Amaranth could ride the pack animal. When this was all squared away she was sitting (however precariously) on her mount's withers, she continued, "The question is not really whether I can cook, but whether I will cook."
Both of the men turned toward her, identical looks of disbelief and alarm on their faces. Amaranth had to stifle a laugh; she thought they probably wouldn't understand.
When it was obvious that Barocas was too shocked to speak, Dinodas stammered, "Wh-what do you mean, you won't cook? Why not?"
Amaranth rolled her eyes. "I never said I wouldn't, I was only commenting that it's not really fair to make me do all the cooking. After all, you both seem to be well brought-up lads; don't try to tell me you never learned to cook!"
"Well, we-" Barocas tried to interject, but Amaranth wasn't finished.
"And what about the other chores? Do you expect me to do all the washing and firewood gathering too? If the only reason you picked me up was because you were too lazy to do your own work, I'll turn this pony right around and go off on my own. Come on, Olla, let's go!" And she started to suit action to words, But a shout of "No, don't!" from the men stopped her. She was riding the pack animal, of course, and all their food, bedding, and other supplies were strapped behind her. Not that she'd ever really intended to leave. Still, she hid her smile as she turned back to them. "Yes?"
Barocas looked very nervous. "Uh, don't leave. We'll share the chores fairly. Right Dinodas?" The lad nodded enthusiastically in agreement and Amaranth smiled brightly. "Excellent!"