View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 01:37 AM   #58
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Very clever, Eärendur, trying to cheat a poor bird out of a full supper! You have asked ten questions in the guise of four. And as for the halfling Ranger, I see no recompense at hand from him for the queries he is making. He fixed them both with a beady black eye, and paused to consider exactly what and how much he might tell them. Gandalf had not been all that forthcoming with information, and he wondered how he might stretch it out for a bit more supper.

He flapped his wings, ruffled his feathers, and then began.

'I left Gandalf on the outskirts of Mirkwood, east of the Gladden fields. I know he had spoken with several families of Stoors, and that is how he found out about the gathering of holbytlan there. From that I gathered that the clan he was concerned about were the Stoors.'

'He did not mention any news from Eriador or ask me to look for Messengers coming from that direction. As to offering them any aid, I should think this present problem and the one you mentioned at the Old Ford are foremost in his mind. Just as an aside, I would say that the family he rescued might well have feared pursuit. This is not the only incident of this type that we have heard of, where the holbytlan have been hunted like animals.'

'As to your question, Master Perry, Gandalf is concerned about rumours of some foe stirring in Carn Dûm who is set against the Northern Kingdoms of the Dúnedain. And yes, you should be concerned, as Arthedain encompasses the Shire.'

Camlost flew down to the stable floor, and landed weakly, falling ungracefully to his side. He gave a few coughs, and rolled dramatically to his back with his one leg stiff in the air, his tongue lolling from his beak. 'What's a poor bird have to do to keep from starving to death?!' he gasped.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]