View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 01:49 AM   #28
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Tolkien

I agree with those saying that there is no consciousChristianity in LOTR - since Toliken edited it out.
But that does not mean that there are not some underlying Christian ideas, that are not immediately obvious:
Quote:
"How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"
"As he has ever judged", said Aragorn. "Good and evil have not changed since yesteryear(...) It is man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.
I think that this quote is one of the few that make LOTR a basically Christian - or better said religious - work. This idea is profoundly religious and moralistic and it is the same that numerous theologians are trying to get through. They basically say that even though times change, God's commandments stated in the Bible stay the same, and there is no circumstance that would warrant not obeying them.