View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 01:40 PM   #251
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Ędegard outside Lorien

The Valar? Iluvatar himself? Ędegard blew out a sigh. That set things at a different slant than he had thought. Suddenly, their quest seemed a hard slog always uphill.

"If Amroth perished in the sea, Erebemlin, then his ghost must have passed to the Halls of Mandos. Do I have the right of it?"

"Aye," Erebemlin replied with a kindly smile.

"And if 'tis so, then Mandos has given his leave for Amroth's ghost to return. Why would his ghost have need of a body?"

Ędegard looked at Erebemlin, who shrugged, as baffled as he was. "Mellon, your questions are not foolish, but seek out wisdom that is beyond the Children of Iluvatar, it seems. I must think on this for a while, but I do not think that I will come to an answer; not without aid."

"What kind of aid, sir?"

Erebemlin laughed. "Please do not call me sir! Mellon is enough if my name comes not easily to your lips. I do not know what kind of aid. The road ahead shall show us, I think."

It was Ędegard's turn to look on Erebemlin in bemusement. After a moment he smiled and said, "My thanks, mellon, for listening to the pryings of a humble human wheelwright."

"It has been my pleasure, friend Ędegard. Do keep wrestling with these questions of yours. We may find from them answers we did not know we needed."

"I will do so, then."

With that, the two rejoined the party.