View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 06:23 AM   #292
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would not say that I have read much fantasy at all, never liked the genre at all. It seems to me that Tolkien is not fantasy at all, no, indeed it is according to himself a historical novel about a prehistorical Europe and it seems silly to ignore that. What one has got to keep in mind is that it is supposed to be a tale, a tale from a time when magic was held possible to exist and seemed like a natural part of the microroom world, the empirical world. In those days the own views were very tiny for most people compared to todays epic views. In many years people will say the same about the today faraway parts of the universe, the proximity to those will then seem natural. We have got to put htings in a perspective, even thoguh there is really only one person who has published works on the aspects of room in earlier times, and he has not been translated. To get back to the subject, I have read fantasy but what I did not like is that they felt very much as constructions, developed by mind, and not like the works of Tolkien by heart. No disrespect to other fantasy writers, but Tolkien is still the best and will be as long as he is the only one that understands this.

Messy post, it was a while since I was on an internet forum and I guess it is pretty obvious.

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote