View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry that it's taken so long to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran
What choice did they have? Where else was there to sleep?
Sam is just so at ease on the edge that it seems unnatural.

Quote:
Wouldn't killing Sam just immediately drive Frodo to kill Gollum himself?
Frodo is ready to continue on after dismissing Sam. If Sam were to 'fall' along the way, like Gandalf and Boromir, well, the Ring still must go into the Fire.

Quote:
Sam is too honest and kind to understand Gollum's devious mind-games - but then, later on, it is this same strength of Sam's that Gollum lacks which will ultimately win through.
Nice insight.

Quote:
It was a strange and rather unwanted scene - but this does allow Frodo to enter Shelob's lair alone, thus making it a far more dramatic and involving scene.
Sam, as stated, could be seen to fall, then somehow survive and catch up with his Master. Frodo could even weep a bit at the loss. We, the audience, could then be so surprised when Sam shows up to save the day, as no main character has yet to fall off a cliff/bridge then reappear, so PJ would really catch us with that one .

Quote:
Are you sure? I can't see anyone smiling.
Please see attached picture. And I won't mind if you tell me to 'get a life.'

Quote:
I think his decision to ride to his death was a bit like Eowyn - he was in a state of depression. His brother was dead and his father couldn't care less about him and so he (mistakenly) believed that his life was worthless, and that death was the only escape.
Another great insight. Both are 'unloved' and lonely, and so seek death on the battlefield, then, interesting, find healing together. My issue (one of many) is that the book Faramir goes to slow/stop the crossing of the Anduin, and fights a rearguard action to permit all those that can escape to do so. It's only until he is overwhelmed by the Black Breath and his own darkness (and that dart) that he finally succumbs. I never got the feeling that he didn't have his wits about him when he rode/walked to Osgiliath, whereas in the movie he seems suicidal - homicidal if you consider the men that follow him, unless they too despair.

Quote:
And yet, isn't this rather similar to the charge of the Rohirrim?
They both rode horses, yet one was attacking infantry in the open (where horses would be an advantage) while the other attacked the same folk in difficult terrain where the horses would not help 'ride down' the enemy.

Quote:
Hmmm...I see the charge of the Light Brigade more. Maybe the differing choices of history is to do with which country you come from *shrugs*.
The Light Brigade reference was so obvious that I went for something a little more obscure. History lessons in the SbS - what's not to like?

Quote:
When has her love dismissed? That's yet to come.
I was referring to one of the hundred times that Aragorn blows her off, like before he leaves for the Paths.

Quote:
Oooh, do tell us.
Be careful indulging me...Anyway, in our version of LotR, the Balrog has Tinuvial tied up upon an altar. Me, as Gandalf, go to rescue her. I use my razor-sharp dagger to cut the rope that binds her wrists, and, instead of cutting down and away from her, I cut up. As the knife slashes through the rope, it continues up toward her nose, just missing it. We both acknowledge the near miss with gasps and sighs on film. Nipping her nose would not have improved my relationship with my co-star, and who knows how her life would have changed, as she made a life being 'on camera.' (Thankfully I gave up acting as, well, I have absolutely no talent there whatsoever, even at the molecular level.)

Now aren't you glad you asked?

Thanks for your posting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smiley.jpg (90.3 KB, 1157 views)