View Single Post
Old 01-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #106
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Okay All Rohan pursuers,

I have just finished PMing most of you with ideas how to clear up the inconsistencies. I'll briefly mention some of them here, for they involve important aspects of gaming.

Each of you, by the way, is doing a great job writing well, with interesting vocabulary, sentence structures, detail and charactertization. No confusion there at all and lots to commend every one of you. What you do need to do, however, is temper your enthusiasm a little, slow down, and pay closer attention to the details and cues of interactive writing.

For instance, my character, Ćlfritha, does not carry a sword; she has only a whip and spurs. Yet there are several references to her slashing away at the wolves. Please change those.

Here's another example. Anglachel has his character sticking a knife into the ground during his eulogy over Hading. Yet later he is said to be riding his horse waving a sword around. Oops.

These are small points. What is more important is the 'big picture' of the game, watching to get a sense of the overall direction of the story. Here, there are important clues.

Vanima and Deorlin have already set up some tension between their characters and Vanima's character is the first to notice he is missing. Within the story, this gives her character, Izrenna, the lead in setting up the search for him. She is the one who, by rights of storytelling, should find himor who should at least control that part of the story. This is part of reading the nuances of the storyline.

There will be other times when other characters will take the lead in a particular activity. Learn to watch for these kinds of things so you know when your character will take the lead and when he or she will sit back.

For instance, the loss of horse and supplies and the loss of Hading will be the logical concern of my character. Thus, Ćlfritha will not join the group to find Deorlin; she will sit that action out, so to speak. But other characters might want to help her recover the supplies, just as others might help Anglachel bury Hading.

Also, remember to follow through with the logical consequences of actions, such as allowing sufficient time and detail for the recovery of Deorlin from the river. Who else gets wet, if anyone? Do we need to light a fire to warm ourselves? Have the horses sustained any injuries? Are they spooked? Do we need to calm them down? Deal with the implications and realities of each event before running headlong into the next plot development.

Also, this is winter in Rohan; weather is very cold. References to warmth are misplaced and so they should be changed, unless we are dealing with Mordor, which has a different climate. And we aren't there yet.

If you have an idea for a particular kind of interaction with another character, be sure to PM the writer to see if it will fit in with what he or she has planned for the character. Don't set up anything for other characters without first getting their writers' permission.

Some of the suggestions I've made in PM will require substantial editing and some posts which are fine now will have to be changed as a result of that editing.

I'll post here in the discussion thread when all the changes have been made and we are ready to post again as the pursuers.

The horse thieves should continue posting. Here's your chance to catch up!

And again, if any of you have any concerns or questions about this, please PM me.

Bethberry