View Single Post
Old 11-29-2003, 11:37 PM   #224
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tamurilo winced as a sharp rock cut into his foot, nearly causing him to stumble. His little daughter, Eruvalde, was asleep in his arms, her golden hair cascading down his back. Her fingers twitched from some impulse in the depth of her slumber, and her father smiled sadly.

Their home was in the south, southwest of Gondor. Tamurilo was a farmer by trade, tall and broad, with the dark skin of a southerner and a keen mind. He would ship his goods to Gondor, where he never had trouble making a living. He lived there with his wife, Losse, and their daughter, Eruvalde. Losse was a daughter of Rohan, which was where Eruvalde received her waves of blonde hair. Certainly not from Tamurilo, whose hair was straight and dark brown.

Eruvalde shifted in her sleep, and Tamurilo paused for a moment. She turned her head toward her father, her hot breath on his neck, then did not move again. Tamurilo sighed and started on his way again.

Being an ally of Gondor since his birth, Tamurilo was not popular among the men of the south, his kin. He tried to live his life normally, for his family's sake, despite this animosity, but it proved a mistake.

In the dark of the night, some more bitter cousins of his stole into his home and started to destroy the place. Losse had woken up and grabbed Eruvalde out of her room, then run into the main room, where she was met by the intruders. Tamurilo ran behind her, and she shoved Eruvalde into his arms. Her words rang in his head still:

Take her and run. I'll meet you in Rohan! I love you!

Dazed by all of the activity, he could hardly think twice about his wife's order, so he obeyed her. He took Eruvalde and ran. The last he saw of his house, it was going up in flames.

Eruvalde stirred again, and sat up. "Are we at Momma's house yet?" she asked, her voice hoarse with sleep. She rubbed her eyes, which were the same dark redwood colour as her father's, and tilted her head back onto Tamurilo's shoulder.

Her father shook his head. "We are not, little one," he said, stroking her hair, "but we'll be there soon, I warrant. Would you like to walk?" Eruvalde nodded, and he set her down on the ground. "Take hold of my hand, and don't let go, mind. I don't want to lose you, Ru."

Eruvalde gripped onto her father's hand tightly. "You won't lose me, Papa," she said. She rested her head against Tamurilo's big hand. "Don't worry."

Tamurilo squeezed her hand and led her on down the road.

He caught a whiff of charred wood, and quickened his pace. He felt a little guilty about it, but the sight of a burned building gladdened him. He had some skill as an architect, and more as a carpenter. Perhaps he could find some work here, and a place for Eruvalde and him to sleep.

Picking up his daughter again, he walked up to a young woman who seemed to be in charge of the situation. "Excuse me, ma'am," he said, nodding his head respectfully, "but I can't help but notice that you might need a few hands around here. I have a set myself that are fairly capable, and a little girl who needs a room for the night. Might you be able to give me some work?"