View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #56
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
For a long time, Erling stood silent, content only to listen to what the others were saying. He was aware that he could add little contribution to the talk, as the information he had about Jak and Owyn came from the general gossip of the Breelanders, entertaining, maybe, but perhaps also a little unreliable. And he still found it hard to believe-or to accept- that a human being could have done all those things. No, it was surely impossible. And that was not only because his feelings shuddered at the thought. There was another reason, an idea that had been bothering him ever since Jak and Owyn had been brought into discussion.

He was just about to voice his thoughts aloud to the others when a strange voice was heard from somewhere below chanting some words. His own words froze on his lips. But he had no time to act as Ash produced from under the table his little brother Owyn. So that had been the cause of the diversion, he thought relieved and amused.

“Perhaps the lad is right.” Erling said to the others. “We should hurry up with some decision. Yet there is also the fact that we might take the wrong decision and what then…? I am thinking mostly of what you said about Jak and Owyn. Well, they have been in Bree a long time, haven’t they? But these...these…well, these strange happenings, they are recent. I am thinking that if they were really to blame they would have started sooner. And also, these things do not live footprints. Well, I’ve heard many a terrifying thing about Jak and Owyn, but no one has ever told me you cannot see their footprints.”