View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #446
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rand was furious, and all Eodwine could find to say in response to hearing Harreld’s question was, “Wonderful! What a match! Don’t you think so, Saeryn?”

Saeryn turned wide eyes upward to his face. Should she take his cue and continue to torment poor Randvér? Or perhaps Eodwine did not even realize what he was doing. Yes, that was more likely the point.

Saeryn looked at Randvér and her face was serious. She jabbed her elbow into Eodwine’s side as covertly as she could, but enough to hopefully get his attention.

“I do not think that Randvér meant to be congratulated on his future son-in-law, Eodwine,” she said.

“That is exactly my point,” Rand seethed. “Whatever I expected to find upon my return, Eodwine, it was not this. You should have known I would not approve!”

“What is wrong with it?” Saeryn asked impulsively. The next minute she regretted it.

“What is wrong with it? What is wrong with my daughter wanting to marry a smith? You two, at least, should know what’s wrong with it! He is beneath her! You know all this! You two may not see anything wrong with it, but did either of you step out of your bounds to marry each other? No! You are on equal standing. Now, because you are happy, you imagine that it doesn’t matter what anyone else does – let the two marry if they love each other, eh? Is that it? It doesn’t matter that her status is so far above his, does it!”

Eodwine, as was his wont, thought before speaking. Saeryn didn’t. Her eyes flashed and she bristled with wrath as she defended Harreld. “Beneath her! Harreld Smith – beneath Ginna? You are a bad judge of men if you think that Harreld is not worthy of your daughter, sir. Or do you forget the reason you brought her to lord Eodwine? Your precious status and haughtiness, which supposedly makes Ginna too good for Harreld, just about ruined her! So you brought her here, and Harreld’s humbleness and nobleness saved her!”