View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Quite possibly meeting everyone on this forum.
That is most likely very true! I'm pretty sure the Wight started up the site after news of the movies broke. Anyway it was the movie news that made me pick up the books again after several years, which subsequently led me to "alta vista" (doesn't have quite the same ring, eh?) Tolkien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I think they simply stuck a different blade on the hilt of a movie souvenir sword. Very cheap flick, I take it?
Hey, not everyone has Avatar money to tell their tale with. Respect! At least they changed the blade around.

I figured this must have been a Netflix find, and sure enough: "A cruel empress rules over an ancient land where men are subservient to women. But conflict arises when a prophecy reveals that a boy will become king and bring back the male regime. Now, unlikely hero Char must restore equality between the sexes."

Hmm, an unlikely hero who is really a Chosen One, you say? How original! And he restores equality between the sexes... by bringing back the male regime and putting those cruel ladies back in their place? I withdraw that "respect" comment, even in jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I strongly suspect that without the film, any kind of film/TV fantasy would not have got very far.
I don't know -- I agree that the success of the LotR movies kind of opened the floodgates, but it feels like as the Star Wars/videogame/D&D generation came of age, it was inevitable that fantasy would break through to mainstream success.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote