View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 09:07 AM   #783
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ok, i wanted to post quickly but ive only read the first half a page of this topic! assoon as im done, ill read the rest. so if anything seems copied from you, its not.

If so, how have you dealt with the temptation to be imitative of Tolkien?
not very well. i have angels as well, and i keep callingthem valar! and then one rebellious one. there are minor plot differences. eg, the angels rebel to protect earth, god wants to surrender it to the evil angel.
i have men, the key characters; dwarves, bald so hopefully nobody thinks i copied jrrt!, and some time of plant people. im still developing the plot. but the evil angel will be captured, then he will escape again, which is similar to morgoths capture and release. im afraid most of the key characters are copied, but the plot will be slightly different. im rambling.

How long have you been working on your story, and why?

let me check... nearly two months now, and because i wanted another epic like the lord of the rings. thought from reading this forum, it seems there will soon be many.
its a poem entitled the tale of the fall of men into evil, and i think there will be a sequel to it, which will be prose. its strange, because im already planning the sequel and ive only written 2 chapters of the poem!

What pitfalls have you faced and how have you overcome them - or not?
i had my own language, but i thought it would just be very obvious that id copied from jrrt if i had my own language in there. so i decided to delete it from my work. this means i made a new map in english. however, unfortunately, the geography was already incorporated into the poem. so im going to have to rewrite a part of it.
my sats exams (i am 13) are in one or two weeks, and i have spent lots of time revising, allowing only a little to write.