View Single Post
Old 11-29-2003, 06:33 PM   #166
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

Dúlrain followed the fresh tracks of his companions leading Dir by his reigns, the hem of his cloak was torn and stray nettle leaves clung to his leggings. His sweep west then north had revealed nothing but vicious thorny bracken and knee high biting nettles. He had returned east to see if his fellows had had better luck than he, and it seemed they had, he found sign that Amandur and the elf woman, Léspheria, had joined them. He remounted his stallion and hurried to find what news they had.

A heavy air greeted him as he entered the camp of his companions. They where deep in conversation, but as he approached they all looked up. "Dulrain, it is good to see that you are well my friend." Amandur said gesturing for him to join them. Friend! He though harshly as he sat, remembering his old captains betrayal of faith. Quickly Amandur filled him in on what had already passed since their last meeting. The death of Tallas, the missing elven tomes, the signs of struggle at Naiore's camp, the burnt tomes and the Lady Léspheria's fears regarding Rivendell.

"And now we must decide which course to take, to ride straight to Rivendell to warn the elves or to stay on her trail and try to take her into custody before she can get near the last house?" The older ranger finished.

Although the news of Tallas's death had saddened him, he could not quench the resentment he felt towards Amandur, "And what of Kaldir? Not once has anyone mention him, he too seeks Naiore!" At his sharp words, the company all turned to face him, but his eyes locked on Amandur.

"Yes I know that he lives, no thanks to the man who found him in the very bowels of hell itself, but by chance in the streets of Bree." Dulrain spat dryly, still looking at his old captain.

Amandur's eyes softened and he nodded resignedly. “Of that I am truly sorry, but until recently I was not aware that the ranger we found in Mordor and the Bounty hunter was one in the same. You must understand that the man we found in the pits of Barad-dur was badly injured and unrecognisable under his own blood and the filth of Mordor. We only found that he was one of our own when he managed to mutter a few words in the old tongue of our ancestors. However, when we asked his name he could not speak. We took him to the halls of healing in Minas Tirith, but the task of bringing the last remnants of the dark one to justice kept me away. When my duties finally allowed me to return the ranger had left and the healers told me he had lost most of his memory, but had insisted on leaving as soon as he was able. With no name I thought no more of it, until we met again in the Forsaken inn but even then I was uncertain."

Dúlrain listened as Amandur spoke and lowered his head in shame as he realised the ranger had not deliberately kept the knowledge from him as he had thought. "Surely you do not blame yourself for Kaldirs capture?" Amandur asked concerned. "You did all you could, I was there remember. When the news came that Elendir's Company had not reported in, myself and our company were hard pressed to keep up with your flight. We could have got there no sooner, my friend." Amandur said trying to comfort him, he nodded but still he felt he had failed his old friend. Had he gone on the mission that took them to Raven fall, and not gone with Amandur's company north into the Ettenmoors selfishly seeking vengeance for his fathers murder, Kaldir may have never fallen into her hands.

"We can do no more for Kaldir unless he asks for help; our concern is Naiore and what course we should now take?" Amandur said taking them all into his steady gaze. Dúlrain nodded at Amandur's logic reasoning and listened as the others continued to debate their course.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Léspheria

Léspheria rose to stretch her legs, the debate was long and she had listened carefully to everyone's arguments and counsels, offering some of her own. Both Rauthain and Dúlrain where set on staying on Naiores trail, they both seemed to share a deep sense of guilt and failure, this troubled her, but they offered sound arguments for their case, Amandur also thought it wise that some of them stay on the revennor's Trail and agreed with their counsels.

Just then Amandur voiced his own decision," I also will ride to Imladris, it may be that if we can get far enough ahead we can block her path." Léspheria was on the verge of protesting when Maethor also rose "then I too shall go, I have spent many years in the company of the elves and feel obliged to warn them of the danger that approaches and prevent Naiore's passage if I can."

"Then it is settled, we three shall ride with all haste to Imladris, to warn the Lords of Imladris of Naiores approach, While Rauthain and Dúlrain continue to follow the Revennor and her companions." Amandur concluded, the rangers all nodded their agreement, "we shall sup then be on our way!" The Rangers then broke and set about preparing a hasty supper, from their supplies.

Léspheria regarded the rangers thoughtfully as she sipped on the strong herbal tea that Maethor had brewed, he now sat with Amandur discussing the quickest route to Imladris, while Rauthain and Dúlrain sat across from each other, the flames of the small fire holding their steady gaze, as each was lost in his own thoughts. "Do they hold any answers?" she whispered, taking another sip of the hot tea she cradled in her hands. At her words the two rangers looked up with puzzled expressions, "The flames do they hold answers?" she repeated nodding to indicate the fire they had both been intently studying.

Dúlrain was the first to catch her meaning and laughed, "Nay, Lady, But some of my questions perhaps you can answer?"

"If I can I will," she smiled.

“Maethor mentioned that Kaldir was now a Bounty hunter, something which I am having a hard time to believe. As the man I remember was a loyal and righteous member of our brethren, but he also mentioned that, he was at the forsaken inn pursuing a quarry of his own. At first I assumed this was Naiore, But as I think on our encounter in Bree, the nature of his travelling companions worries me! A Southern woman and a hobbit woman do not seem the most likely of companions to take on this most dangerous hunt?" he sighed shaking his head.

Léspheria smiled sympathetically, " I met your friend, during my stay at the forsaken inn, Were he showed a keen interest in two young women that I had befriended, Miss Benia Nightshade a woman from the south and the elf maiden Vanwe, we even exchanged words regarding his interest in Vanwe!"

"Vanwe I can understand, she is easily mistaken for her mother!" Léspheria nodded agreeing with his assessment, "But this Miss Nightshade... why would a bounty be on her head? And who is the hobbit woman Kaldir called Mrs Tunnelly and what is her part?" Dúlrain asked his brow creased as he tried to reach for answers on his own.

"The first part of your question I can answer!" Amandur said as he and Maethor rejoined them. "After the fall of the Dark one emissaries were send south with the offer of peace. Some of them returned with news that there were tribes in the dessert of Far Harad who had refused to ally themselves with Sauron. They paid dearly for their choice, it is even said that the dark lord sent their own people against them! Now they are few and scattered but even with peace now in those lands some still hunt out these few tribes people as traitors and bounty's are set on them, it may well be that the woman of whom you speak is from one of these tribes, were her hands painted?" She nodded with Dúlrain remembering the intricate floral pattern that adored the woman's hands and wrists,

"Then this woman I am afraid is but another of his bounty's." Amandur finished regretfully.

Léspheria nodded in agreement and answered the rest of Dúlrain's question, "Mrs Tunnelly, I expect is Benia's friend Mrs Gilly Banks and it is her strong friendship and fierce loyalty that has lead to her becoming caught up in this misadventure. But do not ask me how it is that such an unusual friendship has come about, for that I do not know."

Dúlrain shook his head sullenly, she could see that this news was hard for him and that something else still troubled him, but the night was pressing on and she wished to be out of the woods before the end of the night.

"Well my friend’s darkness draws around us and if we wish to get a head of our quarry we should not delay." As she stood so too did those who were to be her travelling companion's, Amandur and Maethor.

"Namaarie ar quel fara, melloneamin!" (Farewell and good hunting, my friends) she bade Rauthain and Dúlrain as she and her two companions mounted their horses. Amandur and Maethor also bid the rangers farewell, “It may yet be that some of what has been done can be undone, if our faith in our friends is strong enough.” she smiled taking both Dúlrain and Maethor into her steady gaze. Then they turned and hurried eastward.

Léspheria had hoped to ride all night, but it was not to be, late into the night she found herself beset with Naiore’s attack on her daughters mind and was force to stop. They made camp at the edge of the woods and the rangers took it in turns to keep watch, as she fought to block out the pain and torment. Her parting counsel to the two rangers struck her, as they had to put faith in Kaldir, she too would have to put faith in Vanwe, if she was to reach Imaldris before them.

Once the attack had stopped and she had gotten a few hours rest they set off again, they headed eastward at a fair pace, stopping each night as Léspheria trained her emotions and strengthened the wall that blocked out Naiore's assaults on her daughter. Naiore was also somewhere ahead so they were careful not to get to close. Skirting the north edges of the midgewater marshes then turning south east to pass between Weather hills and Amon Sûl, They reached the East rode by the afternoon of the fifth day. Once on the rode they picked up their pace and made good time following it to reach the last bridge by the end of the second week.

"We are being followed!" Lespheria thought aloud, as they drew near the bridge. "Where?" Amandur asked not looking round, as to alert their shadow. "To our right, but who ever it was has only stayed long enough to get our position!" Both Amandur and Maethor swung their mounts and went to investigate.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-18-2004 at 04:29 AM.