View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #80
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
To the same effect as in the other part of the Narn I would like to reoppen a dsicussion about NA-EX-57.1:
Quote:
Then the warriors of Nargothrond went forth, and tall and terrible on that day looked Túrin, and the heart of the host was upheld, as he rode on the right hand of Orodreth. NA-EX-57 <GA Túrin in the battle wore the Dragon-helm.> But greater far was the host of Morgoth than any scouts had told, NA-EX-57.1 <LT an army of Orcs {descended upon them}, and wolves, and Orcs mounted upon wolves;> and none but Túrin defended by {his dwarf-mask}[the Dragon-helm] could withstand the approach of Glaurung.
Earlier discussion were few only, and therefore I will summarize them here:
Findegil:
Quote:
I searched for some stuff to add to the battle and this was all that came up.
Aiwendil:
Quote:
I’m hesitant to introduce such a small detail. If LT provided substantial information that would be one thing, but to break a sentence Tolkien wrote just to add (essentially) that the host contained wolves seems to me unnecessary.
Findegil:
Quote:
I do not fight for that add. It was a just the only additional information that my search through all the descriptions of that battle brought up, so I sought I should at least offer it. I will skip it.
Thinking now farther about it, I think that we do not have wolves to often in fights in the First Age. And Wolf-riders I do not remember at all in any other battle in the First Age (this might be bad memory on my part). With that and the fact that the battle discription is laking detail and that it probably is still an compilation by Christopher Tolkien, I think we should give that information.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote