View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Thanks for that link to Esty's thread, Balin999. Some good examples there of humorous moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I think it is in the Biography that Tolkien admits to having a childish sense of humour. I am sure there is something about him putting his false teeth into the outstretched hands of inattentive shopkeepers ..... tell me I didn't make that up...

Oh dear! If they were wooden teeth, Tolkien might have been having a laugh at the first American George (who is not to be confused with St. George, nor are any other Georges ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
it seems to me that Tolkien had two more or less distinct modes of literary thought - the high and the comedic. And though he sometimes combined these (e.g. in TH and LotR), he never synthesised them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem

'The Silmarillion is a fundamentally humourous & comical work, but I have deliberately cut out all references to custard pies & rubber chickens. The Sillyness has been absorbed into the story itself...'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
I reckon that comedy is the way of breaking down the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
it involves more than a touch of irony
Are we setting up a distinction between situational humour or character-driven humour?

Or, is it possible that comedy is part of the music of the Children of Ilúvatar? It is a gift to redeem the darkness imposed by Melkor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale
For the Children of Ilúvatar were conceived by him alone; and they came with the third theme, and were not in the theme which Ilúvatar propounded at the beginning, and none of the Ainur had part in their making.
Could it be that comedy is the secret fire-- Being in the moment of their utterance ? Eä! Let humor be!.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 04-27-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote