View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcusCalion View Post
Perhaps he means that he simply published it as it was without alteration? However, consideration of the majority of the book makes this claim very hard to believe.
This is my feeling as well. If I recall correctly, Kane claimed in Arda Reconstructed that there was an original "Of the Rings of Power" text, but didn't explain its history or how he knew this, unless he was basing it on the same statements by Christopher Tolkien in other publications as you've mentioned already.

On the other hand, some elements of the published Silmarillion are largely, if not entirely, unaltered, such as "Akallabźth", according to Christopher Tolkien in The Peoples of Middle-earth:
Quote:
"the final form of the Akallabźth, if with some editorial alteration, is available in The Silmarillion."
Despite making similar claims about "Of the Rings of Power", however, he never offers information on its composition as far as I'm aware.

I'd almost be inclined to suggest that perhaps "Of the Rings of Power" was entirely Professor Tolkien's own work with minor editorial changes if it wasn't for the fact that parts of it seem peculiar.