View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #170
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gilly

Looking around for a suitable hiding place for “Plan A”, Gilly felt it rather hard luck that they should run the risk of meeting orcs in such an inconvenient landscape. It was like trying to play “hide and seek” at Lilly Smallburrow’s house when she was young. There was simply nothing good for them to hide behind. And then there were the horses. Kaldir had obviously picked the best spot to conceal all of them, but she would feel better if the beasts were to lay down so that there heads might not be seen above the briars.

Taking the reins of her pony, the hobbit gently pulled down on them. “Come on, you poor silly thing,” she pleaded. And then pulling again with all her weight, the pony merely bowed its head and caught the tatting on Gilly’s collar between its teeth. “Oh no you don’t!” she admonished, rapping it lightly across the nose, releasing herself.

Walking over to Benia she looked forlornly at the ornate handle of the dagger at her waist. She had never had to trust to a weapon in her life thus far, and wondered how at her age she would manage it if the orcs were to attack them. For that matter she had never even seen an orc, but felt she could certainly identify one if she saw it. She hoped so anyway. And had hoped also that she would not freeze or faint in a pinch. A large knot began forming in her stomach, as she sat down. “A cold supper….” She repeated again.

Actually, she didn’t feel much like eating, but wondered how she could make their provisions a bit more palatable for Kaldir and Benia. Perhaps as a treat they could finish off the last of the cheese before it got too moldy. That might brighten their spirits. Getting up again to check the its state, she walked over to the horses and once there forgot why she had gotten up. She tried pulling down on the reins of Benia’s horse, with no result.

“Miss Benia,” she cried. “Is there no way to get these horses to lay down? I thought that orcs may know that briars don’t bloom horse heads for blossoms in the summer, as handsome as those horse heads might be. And I certainly don’t want them to come over here abouts to pick them for a sweetheart.”

Benia laughed grimly and quickly coaxed the animals down, to calm her friend. “If orcs do wander close by, these horses will be up again in a moment. Most likely that is how we will know they have arrived,” she sighed. The hobbit then ceased pacing and taking the reins from Benia plunked herself down between the animals.

“Then I will stay here to keep them put,” she said with determination.

“Oh Gilly really, there’s no need! The brush is high and thick enough I don’t even think an orc as tall as a ranger would see them, should there be such a one! Besides I don’t see as that is the safest hiding place for you should the horses become frightened.”

“All the same I’ll be staying here, least ways till Mr. Kaldir gets back or the horses won’t have me no more. But you go on Miss Benia, and make yourself comfortable like,” she said trying to sound cheerful. “Won’t you tell me some stories of your father? I should like to hear again about Rohan while I’m sitting between my two friends here. To pass the time, maybe. They had their trouble with orcs there too, and not so long ago, I reckon. Perhaps I can take courage from your stories for I’m feeling a ways unsteady and I don’t mind saying it.”

[ 10:03 PM December 02, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]