View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #24
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
ketchup, ketchup

Notes taken while reading the chapter (pre-thread-reading) :

Always wondered why Aragorn was so fussy about leaving Anduril at Theoden's door; thought it was a kind of snooty paranoia. However I think now that he was worried somebody would un-intentionally be caught by the weapon's protective whatever-it-was (curse? spell? blessing? scabbard?)

Quote:
‘And I would do as the master of the house bade me, were this only a woodman’s cot, if I bore now any sword but Andúril.’
...why? because it's deadly to all but Elendil's heir:
Quote:
‘Here I set it,’ he said; ‘but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil’s sword save Elendil’s heir.’
So it was a sense of responsibility, and not wanting someone else harmed. He's a nice guy after all....

Edoras has a cool floor:
Quote:
As their eyes changed, the travellers perceived that the floor was paved with stones of many hues; branching runes and strange devices intertwined beneath their feet.
Love the tapestry of Eorl:
Quote:
But upon one form the sunlight fell: a young man upon a white horse. He was blowing a great horn, and his yellow hair was flying in the wind. The horse’s head was lifted, and its nostrils were wide and red as it neighed, smelling battle afar. Foaming water, green and white, rushed and curled about its knees.
The movie folk got the central fireplace right (that Eowyn slept beside):
Quote:
past the clear wood-fire burning upon the long hearth in the midst of the hall.
Neat, and very biblical, proverb/observation from Gandalf:
Quote:
The wise speak only of what they know...
Love the bits about Eowyn, such as
Quote:
Grave and thoughtful was her glance, as she looked on the king with cool pity in her eyes. Very fair was her face, and her long hair was like a river of gold. Slender and tall she was in her white robe girt with silver; but strong she seemed and stern as steel, a daughter of kings.
And this, and many other, quotes from and about Eomer:
Quote:
‘Take this, dear lord!’ said a clear voice. ‘It was ever at your service.’
I am steadily remembering why I became so very fond of Eomer, thirty years ago...

Child first brought to my attention a theme that runs throughout the entire trilogy. Gandalf with elegance and simplicity states it here:
Quote:
To cast aside regret and fear. To do the deed at hand.
Gandalf immediately follows this abstract with the concrete application:
Quote:
we must first destroy the threat of Saruman, while we have time. If we fail, we fall. If we succeed – then we will face the next task.
Each subplot, each story chapter in the book can be told this way. And throughout the books, Gandalf the counsellor presents one step at a time, and does not look too far ahead.

Once again we see Aragorn's basic and simple virtues at work:
Quote:
And I promised Éomer that my sword and his should be drawn together.
Theoden openly states his hope for a glorious death:
Quote:
I myself will go to war, to fall in the front of the battle, if it must be. Thus shall I sleep better.
Gandalf continues in the role of counsellor:
Quote:
Give him a horse and let him go at once, wherever he chooses. By his choice you shall judge him.
This immediately removes all doubt regarding Grima's true alliance...
Quote:
Theoden: Give him a horse, if he wishes it.’ ‘And if any will bear him,’ said Éomer.

I remember Gimli's cap and shield, but I don't remember the beginning of that paragraph; always missed it before, or skimmed it.
Quote:
Now men came bearing raiment of war from the king’s hoard and they arrayed Aragorn and Legolas in shining mail. Helms too they chose, and round shields: their bosses were overlaid with gold and set with gems, green and red and white.
It's interesting enough that Aragorn was dressed by Theoden (a king dressing a king), but the idea of Legolas wearing (colorful!) Rohirric armor is particularly appealing. (Charming?) Also 'charming' is the point that Gimli's shield was Theoden's as a boy. Perhaps that's where the inspiration for the movie Faramir/ Pippin connection came from.

Quote:
Alone Éowyn stood before the doors of the house at the stair’s head; the sword was set upright before her, and her hands were laid upon the hilt. She was clad now in mail and shone like silver in the sun.
Eowyn the sentinel, the statue, the image of Something Other.... Someone set apart. Dedicated, consecrated?

The men gallop off, and our last sight is this:
Quote:
Far over the plain Éowyn saw the glitter of their spears, as she stood still, alone before the doors of the silent house.

Last edited by mark12_30; 02-25-2005 at 07:30 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote