View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #32
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Shield

Two things stood out for me on this reread:

First, does Gandalf have control of the weather or just really good timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of the Golden Hall
"...I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving-man till the lightning falls!"

He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly as dark as night.
And also:

Quote:
"...that fool, Háma, has betrayed us!" There was a flash as if lightning had cloven the roof.
At first blush, this seems like nothing more than Gandalf exhibiting power as a wizard--not entirely unlike his actions at Bag End when Bilbo needing some convincing to pass along the Ring. But this is an actual storm. Witness what happens when Théoden is convinced, just a bit later, to step outside:

Quote:
From the porch upon the top of the high terrace they could see beyond the stream the green fields of Rohan fading into distant grey. Curtains of wind-blown rain were slanting down. The sky above and to the west was still dark with thunder, and lightning far away flickered among the tops of hidden hills. But the wind had shifted to the north, and already the storm that had come out of the East was receding, rolling away to the sea.
Quite apart from the interesting point that could be made about the fact that--in the same sentence--Tolkien leaves "north" not-capitalised and capitalises "East"--I have no memory of ever noticing that the thunder and lightning when Gandalf dominates the hall is tied to an actual storm outside. And, (admittedly, I only thumbed through quickly), I couldn't find anything in the narration prior to entering the hall that indicated it was going to storm.

Given its dramatic position in the chapter, the question for me arises: is this just a case of literary timeliness or did Gandalf somehow influence the weather to line up with the drama of the moment? As an emissary of the Valar, operating now post-Moria in a heightened state of openness, it doesn't seem *entirely* implausible that Manwë has a hand here--but, should we then make something of the fact that this storm rose in the capital-E East?

Setting aside meteorlogical concerns, I noticed Aragorn a lot this chapter (and I appear not to have been the only one: he's all over this thread). I don't have a new opinion to offer about his stubborn pride outside the doors regarding Andúril, but after the last few chapters and what I was noticing there, his prominence in a chapter where he doesn't really have anything to DO stuck out to me. In terms of action, this chapter is chiefly about Gandalf, Théoden, and Gríma--with Háma playing an interesting minor key note. Aragorn, by contrast, hasn't got much more to do than stand around and look tall.

Nonetheless, he is quite prominent here. It's partly that he's our point-of-view character, though he shares that role with Gimli, who functions as the next-best thing to a hobbit when it comes to being down-to-earth. I think this is simply me realising what has probably been obvious to many: Aragorn is our hero in this part of the tale. Younger me was so used to the idea of Frodo as the main character and distracted by the chapters focussing on Merry and Pippin that I'd missed that point, but in the non-Frodo split of the story, the "conventional epic," Aragorn is the not-quite-conventional hero.