View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 11:29 AM   #129
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Iswyn rose, white faced, from the ground where she'd been kneeling. Most of the cloves had been replaced in the tiny fabric pouch, and luckily all her other packages had stayed tied. With all her purchases safey in the basket, she glanced about for Deol's flowers. There they were, a few steps ahead of her, dusty and a little crushed, but still nice. She picked them up, shaking the dust from the green ribbon still tied around their stems and tucked them on top of the rest of her things. She clutched at Lachlan's outstretched hand as she got to her feet, still trembling and weak in the knees.

Silly girl, she chided herself inwardly, nothing happened to you. Stand up straight and have just a little dignity for once. She let go of Lachlan's hand and looked up at him. "I should go. Talan will be angry with me." She took two steps in the direction of Hamish's stand before Lachlan was beside her again. Her steps had been shaky, yes, and she was glad to have his hand on her shoulder.

"I'll go with you, make sure you get there all right." The expression on the young man's face was kind, and Iswyn vividly relived the moments where he defended her against the drunken old man. How strong he was, and how safe she was with him. She relaxed just a little and let him guide her through the market, back to where Talan paced the dusty street alone.

"Iswyn!" He looked shocked to see her. She glanced down at her dress and shoes, noticing that they were dusty and rumpled. Her face must look a mess too. She wanted to cry. How humiliating. How awful. Wordlessly, she pushed the basket in her hands at Talan and felt a hot tear run down her cheek.

"She had a bit of trouble at market today." Lachlan spoke over her head to Talan. "She ought to get home and have a rest." Talan nodded solemnly, readjusting his own purchases to take the basket from her shaking hands.

"Hamish will deliver those birds to the inn later." He said, with a nod to the red faced shopkeeper, before reaching out to take Iswyn's hand. Iswyn shook her head no, clinging to Lachlan's hand like a little girl. She knew she was being silly, but she didn't dare let go. Not till she was back at the Horse, back in the warm kitchen where everything was safe.

Lachlan exchanged a helpless glance with Talan. "How about we all three go back together?" He suggested. Iswyn nodded enthusiastically at this proposal, still clinging to his hand like a limpet. Only a short walk and the day could be over. Bethberry couldn't mind about the sand in the cloves, she simply couldn't. After Iswyn told her that she had done her best she would be free to go to the kitchen and the vegetable gardens, free to relax in the clean sun and reclaim the good day she'd had earlier. Haltingly the three set out to return to the inn.

After only a few steps Lachlan's face brightened. "I've got the cart with me today. How about I go and fetch it and drive you two back?" Iswyn looked up at Talan's face, beaded with sweat, and his arms full of both their packages. Reluctantly she relinquished Lachlan's hand and watched as the young man set off at a brisk walk in search of his cart.

[ August 09, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!