View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #136
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Bethberry held out her right hand and looked keenly at the intricately detailed bracelet as Aylwen snapped it on her wrist. The Innkeeper could almost imagine the sting of the thistles, so well-wrought was the piece of jewellery.

"Aylwen, I don't normally wear jewellry, but this is indeed a special piece, chosen thoughtfully. I will wear it with honour, a single ornament, in recognition of the cost of life well-earned."

Aywlen nodded, happy that her gift had been understood. Before she could speak again, Mia appeared with a most earnest request. Aywlen chuckled aloud.

"I'll leave this for you to handle, Innkeeper," she said, a smile coming unbidden to her face, as she bowed slightly in making her departure.

The Innkeeper looked into the earnest, tumultuous eyes of the young Mia, too young, really, to have to handle such a responsibility yet. Yet the girl must learn or she would fail her task. And what then of the little ones?

"Mia, indeed, a celebration with Fianna would be delightful; I can well imagine it. But suddenly leaving, even in offering to work another time, is not a responsible way to run an Inn. There are others here who depend upon us, rely upon us, to provide for their needs. Had you thought to plan ahead, asked me yesterday, or even early this morning, I could have arranged for another to cover your work. As it is, now, with so many staff away at market, we have few enough on hand to do the work. There is much to do to prepare for dinner and to attend to the rooms and laundry. The Inn cannot spare you now."

The girl's eyes widened in her disappointment, tinged perhaps with anger and surprise at being denied her request. Bethberry watched for a reaction, knowing that in the balance hung whatever success Mia would have to care well for her younger siblings.

A crash of glass interrupted them. With a nod, the Innkeeper strod off to the kitchen, in time to observe, unnoticed, Iona sweeping away the last shards of broken glass. Seeing that the girl was unhurt, she tucked the memory of the accident away in her mind and returned to Mia.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OOC
I cannot access my PMs. Some of you sent me queries about futher interactions. Could you please resend them to my addy and I will be back in touch asap:

bethberry@barrowdowns.com

Thanks!
Bethberry

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]