View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002, 10:45 PM   #8
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Sorry if this seems way off topic in some areas, but the request was made to place a response to the initial post of this thread here as well as another.

Quote:
whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty,...but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.
This seems to tell me that they were infact restricted in the use of their powers as Maia. I suppose it depends on personal interpretation.

Quote:
Saruman broke the rules, and thus appeared more powerful through the same means that Sauron did -- in armies and domination.
But is her more powerful then Sauron himself. My statment regarding the overall power was bi-fold. If Saruman was infact using his full Maia power, which I assume is what you are saying, then wound't he just go up and match Sauron Maia for Maia, instead of devising armies and adamantly searching for the ring?

Think about it, wouldn't it be the best course of action to remove your closest competitor if you have the chance, if Saruman was more powerful than Sauron at this time, then why didn't he do so.

Quote:
but he was ensnared by that dark spirit, mightier than he.
I'm not sure of you're reasoning after you stated this but to me, that says that Sauron was obviously more powerful than Saruman. Sauron was the representation of the darkness of Middle Earth at this time, so it would only be logical to consider him in referencing this quote.

Quote:
But the being that was Sauron and the being that was Gandalf, in their beginnings, had equally potent spirits.
Of course in the beginning they were equal, but that changed. Sauron's attachment to Melkor strengthend his sheer physical power obviously. But we are talking about their power during the time of the War of the Ring. Gandalf the White was still a Maia in a human shell, so that would limit his power logically.

Quote:
They were different beings, though. The bad guys are usually "more powerful" than the good guys because they are willing to do anything to achieve their ends, and are not inhibited by morals, honesty, or compassion. Gandalf was a very meek spirit, and even expressed to Manwe a fear of Sauron. Manwe was confident in Gandalf, though, because of that humility.
So what exactly are we debating? The definition of power? If so that is a matter of personal interpretation once again. I am referring to actual physical power as a whole.
Orofacion of the Vanyar is offline   Reply With Quote