View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #633
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Off the top of my head, various non-canonical Hugs 'n' Learning moments in LotR:
Theoden, really grumpy sulking in the bowels of Helms Deep, then persuaded by Aragorn to "draw swords together".
The elves deciding to help men after all by coming to Helms Deep.
Aragorn not wanting to be King but gradually getting talked into it, finally having Elrond pop up with Anduril in the middle of Rohan.
Elrond in his turn seeing the error of his ways vis a vis Arwen.
I could go on.
Ah. I understand. Yes, all those ridiculous character conflicts for no reason having to do with Tolkien's story. Hence, I assign to Mordor character development for the sake of character development when it ought to be character development for the sake of the story. Oh, and DON'T expect to find this in "ATM".

Edit: I just noticed SPM's pertinent questions. I hope my assignation to Mordor signifies the distinction that your questions imply that you are asking for (ick what a terrible sentence!). Tolkien's characters mature in ways that make sense within the context of the story; the story is never wrestled into the shape needed for character development.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote