View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #68
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hroa
Obscenity: I'm not fully aware of the extent to which this ban implies, but the rule I want everyone to go by is "If you wouldn't want your ten-year-old sister reading it, don't post it."
Excellent! I have no ten-year-old sister, therefore no rules apply.

Just kidding, of course. I'll be good. Promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon
Well it's a good thing Skittles is too insane to fall in love.
And Angawen is too... Angawen to fall in love. I doubt she'll be engaged in any romantic encounters in this game, though there's always...

I really need to get round to reading REB. But I'm rereading ATM atm (just to get back into the swing of it) so it will have to wait.

Concluding the section of my post involving romance / obscenity (delete as appropriate), could I just say I don't think we should go overboard. The Gondorian ambassadors in particular will have to remain canonically pure. And the Mordorian ambassadors... well, who's going to be attracted to Igör? There doesn't seem much opportunity for romance in the game, excluding certain characters who already have an established relationship.

Language

These are ideas I was sharing with Fea last night. (We were on MSN, just incase tp misinterprets that...)

As a) The official language of Mordor is Modern English and b) The utterance of an anakronism results in permanent assignment to Mordor, it follows that Gondorian ambassadors a) Do not speak English, b) Feel no desire to speak English c) Will be assigned to Mordor if they speak English (and thus lose their office of ambassadorship) and d) Speak only in Westron.

The Mordorian ambassadors, meanwhile, should be learned in Westron so that they can communicate with their Gondorian counterparts. Conversations between the two groups should take place in Westron. Conversations between Mordorian ambassadors can be in Westron or English, depending on whether they want the Gondorians to understand or not.

However, this has the discrepancy of Gondorian ambassadors always being assigned to Mordor. By entering Mordor, they come into contact with Anakronistic life and thus notice Anakronisms. This should be enough to assign them.

As it is, I'm not sure how much of the above stands. It's up to Fea. Hopefully she'll clear it up soon.

EDIT: Of course, as Mardil is King and the King can decree who is to be assigned to Mordor or vice versa, we could simply have Mardil declare that the ambassadors are permitted to view, notice and mention anakronisms without assignation. This has the added advantage of showing the weakening power of the Dweomer. We can still keep the language aspect as we do this, though, as it can hardly be expected that any Gondorian should be learnt in the tongue of anakronisms.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 05-14-2006 at 05:58 AM.