View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I don't think Tolkien forgot, as I think Celebrimbor as a Feanorean was later than the Elessar text, and only entered The Lord of the Rings in the revised edition (it also entered in a change to the text Concerning Galadriel And Celeborn as well).

In The Elessar, Celebrimbor is first friends with Enerdhil... but the note at the end makes Celebrimbor the maker of the jool, displacing Enerdhil (which might call into question if Enerdhil was still to be part of the tale at this point). So what I'm suggesting is that since we probably do not have Celebrimbor the Feanorean in Gondolin at all, then the maker of the jool in Gondolin can once again become Enerdhil... and Celebrimbor can make the later one in Eregion.
Are the inscriptions on the door of Moria from a the revised edition? Seems incredulous that any Elf of Gondolin would leave place the mark of Feanor above their door unless they were from there.

Christopher Tolkien's language appears to suggest that he believes the text comes after the revision of Celebrimbor's ancestry. Since he says he 'again' appears as an Elf from Gondolin.

I tend to go with what it was published unless it was a huge mistake. I think we can all accept that Celebrimbor was the son of Curufin.

I agree we can once again insert Enerdhil and have Celebrimbor as the maker of the 2nd Elessar, but I don't think Galadriel's character fits with her portrayal in Tolkien's last vision of her. She is dangerous close to encouraging Celebrimbor to forge the Great Rings in her language and she is still too prideful to accept the council of the Valar.

I am more inclined to have Glorfindel returning at some point in the 2nd Age replace Gandalf in the text and hand her the Elessar. Glorfindel being from Gondolin would be very aware of it's powers perhaps more so than even Gandalf.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote