View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #407
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Ravion

Ravion did not stop or look back until a mile and a half or more was past him. If he did, he was not sure that he would not turn back.

When enough distance was between him and his companions--his former companions--that he felt safe, he sank to the ground and put his head in his hands. Sometimes he wondered if he had any more sense than Gwyllion, or Mellonin's moonstruck brother. He had acted in the heat of the moment, impetuously, without thinking it through. What would they do without him? He was their leader. Perhaps they deserved better than him, but they had no better than him. All they had was him. And he had abandoned them. What an irresponsible child he had been!

He opened his sack and brought out some bread. Unwrapping it, he stared at it. Suddenly there was no more hunger in him. Not for bread, at least. Perhaps for company.

Where was he to go now? He had no horse. He had nothing but the clothes on his back, some food, and a sword. He was alone.

But was he not always alone?

"Your brother?" Ravion asked quietly. Mellonin nodded, swallowing hard and composing herself. "We'll find him. I swear it to you."

He had sworn it.

And now he had left.

He shook his head vigorously. It was too late now. He would not crawl back with his tail between his legs. He could only imagine what Aeron would have to say about that. They would be fine without him, anyway. They would be fine.

Erundil

Erundil and his horse were both weary, but still they continued on. Ravion would be interested in the news he had.

Ravion was always such a strange one. When he was young, freshly accepted as a Ranger, he never had his mind on his training. He was a very capable young man, but it took a patient teacher to train the boy to focus. And sometimes, Erundil wondered if the way he had been forced to sit down and learn had not broken some of the sense of wonder in the boy. Although Erundil and Ravion had not seen each other in a long enough, he knew that the man the boy had grown to be was somber and lacking in much cheer: very different from the boy that Erundil had known.

As the night was coming on, he saw in the distance a small group of people walking slowly. One of them, a young woman, led a horse. Was that Gond? He looked more closely. It was Gond. But where was Ravion?

He approached them slowly from behind, then dismounted and cleared his throat loudly. All of the company turned, startled. "I see a horse without its rider," Erundil said quietly. "And its rider I know. I must ask, where is Ravion? Where is Gond's rider?"