View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
No you said that I claimed to be able to do absolutely anything (which you said was how were the Ainur capable of making Arda without bodies) one must have a body. And I'm saying, I never said this, I only said to be able to punch someone else with a tangible form, you must have a form yourself.
What can someone in Middle-Earth do without a body? They need a body for everything.

Quote:
Curses are far more spiteful than contracts. They aren't something that are easy to break. It's a form of revenge because someone did injustice to you or someone/something you hold very dear. Curses aren't some nice sweet thing like 'I'm going to curse you because you betrayed me...you aren't going to rest until your oath to fighting for Gondor is going to be fulfilled. I'm going to be soft on you though, and just so you can break this curse I gave you, I will make sure that you are able to fulfill it.'
Dude, they were ghosts trapped under a mountain, unable to enjoy anything in the world. That curse sure wasn't sweet. All I was saying was that the curse was specific. If the curse stated it could be broken with combat, combat would break it. Simple.

Quote:
Curses aren't sweet like that, and they aren't something that can be easily broken. There is nothing 'easy' about a curse, if the Dead Army was incapable of breaking it that's their own problem and they will have to live with it. Take a look at the curse placed upon the sons of Feanor, and the curse Morgoth put on Hurin and his house.
Like I said, of course a curse isn't sweet, and Isildur's curse was easily broken. It's not that hard to fight for Gondor. Also, Morgoth's curse had no terms of breaking in it, and was a fully damning act. Keep in mind that Morgoth's curse came from Morgoth, who was far more skilled in the cursing department than Isildur.

Quote:
I don't see how hard it is to recognize that being dead means you have no body, and there is no special little sweetness curse Isildur gave them to make sure their bodies stayed intact. Because being dead, means you have no physical body.
Of course they had no body, they were dead. However, they did have something, or were somthing more than ordinary spirits, seeing as how they could be seen, and they were damned people, not people who simply croaked. They were Middle-Earth's only ghosts, spirits that were tied to the living world, and little is known about them.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote