View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #136
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

"Mae," spoke Bethberry not harshly as the girl flounced towards Aylwen, "because we desire to do things is not always the best reason for doing them. Consider Aylwen's need here at the Inn before you take advantage of her good heartedness. We will likely be busier here at The Horse today and will have need for all hands."

The girl frowned at the woman petulantly and strode off to see Aylwen. Bethberry watched her go, worrying that the girl lacked the maturity needed to balance her looks and attractiveness. To fall for a man for a song, well, that was an old story, yet a perilous one. She did not wish to see the girl hurt.

"You're a spoil sport, Mistress Bethberry," called out Hearpwine to her half-heartedly conveying a frown that would not stay put upon his face.

"Am I now? Or rather just cautious? I have mended the broken bones and bound the bloody wounds and healed the sore pain of those who chose something more than their own pleasure," she replied. "I do not deny the dance but merely remind that someone must pay the piper." She grinned at him. "An Inn that cannot feed its guests is an Inn that cannot pay its entertainers."

"Hearpwine will have no need of employment here,' Mistress Bethberry interjected Liornung. "He'll be paid by the Golden Hall 'ere this day is finished."

"Will he now," she grinned back. "Then there will be plenty of opportunity to hear him sing in the future. But enough of this." She turned to the old warrior.

"Master Ćlle, before these musicians have every one dancing up a storm, I should clear the floor for them." She bent down to retrieve his cane that had fallen and which he had not been able to find when it fell to the floor.

He half rose to convey his thanks and Bethberry placed the cane in his hand, for his sightless eyes had been unable to take it from her hands himself. It cannot be said that he minded the touch of her hands or that he withdrew his too quickly.