View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 06:46 PM   #140
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Ælle looked kindly in Aylwen’s direction, delighted in her attention and curiosity. “Well, Miss Aylwen, I know you are busy today, so I shall keep my story short for now, but I hope I will be able to tell you many tales if you do not mind listening to an old man’s ramblings.” He could hear her softly chuckle, but she uttered no protests, so he continued. “You see, Miss Aylwen, I lived here in Edoras many, many years ago. I have since traveled here and there with whoever would have me, and after many springs passing, I have returned to my home to rest for a while.”

“Do you have family here, Master Ælle?” Aylwen inquired from across the table.

“Oh dear, no. I have outlived my family, miss.” Ælle became silent momentarily and a small smile reflected his warm memories of his young wife. “It has been many years since I walked in Edoras, and to arrive at a time of celebration!” The old man laughed and clapped his hands. “This is really quite a treat for me.”

“I am glad you are enjoying yourself, sir, and I am also pleased that you have chosen to stay in our Inn.” The innkeeper spoke with sweet kindness.

“And thank you, Miss Aylwen, for your kindness.” Ælle then smacked both of his hands on the wooden table and said in a voice rich with merriment, “Now, are the musicians still around and about? I would dearly love to hear another song.”

“I am sorry, Master Ælle, but Hearpwine and Liornung have already left for the competition.”

“What a pity,” the old man shook his head. “I shall certainly request a song upon their return.”

“I am sure we will hear their songs whether we request them or not,” the innkeeper laughed softly and touched Ælle’s arm. “I must leave you now, sir, but I am sure we will be able to speak again very soon.”

Ælle nodded and moved his hand over the table until he found his plate and utensils, and then the old man began to eat his wonderful breakfast in silence.