lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Topic: Annotated Hobbit, New Edition, brief review
Tar Elenion
Wight

Member # 211

Member Rated:

posted August 23, 2002 12:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just received a review copy of the new edition of the Annotated Hobbit (working in the industry has some benefits). I have only been able to skim over it.
Some changes from the first edition are that it includes some colour plates (from JRRT and other artists) more commentary on some of the black and white illustrations, the notes on the textual revisions of The Hobbit are now included in the body of the book instead of as an appendix. Some of the annotations are expanded (for example the
'pointy ears', the 'scientific version revision', the two Thrains controversy is addressed, Thranduil's hair is mentioned). There is an expanded bibliogaphy.
All new to this edition is the inclusion of the 'Quest of Erebor' one version of which was included in UT. The UT version was the compressed 'C' text, with extracted passages from the longer 'B' text given at the end. The entire 'B' typescript is given as an appendix in this edition and does include previously unpublished information.
Price is $28.00.

--------------------

Tar-Elenion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

Member # 76

Member Rated:

posted August 24, 2002 08:12 AM
very cool, thanks TarElenion.
I [ or Aiwendil] will prob let it sit here for a day before moving it to the books section so every one can see it.

when is it due for public consumption?

Posts: 853 | From: a hidden fastness [N. CA] | Registered: Jul 2000 | IP: Logged

Findegil
Newly Deceased

Member # 3792

posted September 02, 2002 04:16 PM
Thanks Tar Elenion,
could you give me some more infomation about the book? Most helpful would be a ISBN and the publisher would also help.

Respectfully
Findegil

Tar Elenion
Wight

Member # 211

Member Rated:

posted September 02, 2002 04:43 PM
Houghton Mifflin
0-618-13470-0
--------------------

Tar-Elenion

JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

Member # 2803

Member Rated:

posted September 13, 2002 12:00 AM
What exactly is that book have in it? Other than the hobbit of course
--------------------

And seeing a picture of Jesus he cried out,"Momma, he's got some scars just like me." And he knew it was love, It was one he could understand He was showing his love,
And that's how he hurt his hands.

Posts: 60 | From: Illinios | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged

lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

Member # 76

Member Rated:

posted September 13, 2002 07:48 AM
See the first post for rather detailed contents.
I have looked at it a few times and while it contains a wealth of 'lore', the format also distracts from reading. But this i think is done w/ the cleaqr presumption that anyone reading this edition is probably on their 20th go around or so

Some of the illustrations are good, some wretched and makes you wonder what the artistic editor [not too mention the original artist!] was on.

I did not yet see the 'Myth's transformed commentary'. I will have to search for it more next time I see it.

much of the commentary is concerned w/ references to JRRT's sources, both literary,artistic and his family life.

I did read the full 'b' version of the Quest for Erebor and it has a few lines here and there that are of interest that were completely absent from UT.

Other than that much of it felt disjointed being along side the Text itself.

I would have stuck it all at the end myself.
Anywaqy Tar Elenion's initial description really does outline it well.
Hope I added a bit more detail for you JenFramp.

btw welcome to the Silm Forum -

--------------------

lindil
--The Osanwe Discussion board ~ exploring the nature and questions of Osanwe, and Traditional Christianity.oh yeah, read Otherland!

Posts: 853 | From: a hidden fastness [N. CA] | Registered: Jul 2000 | IP: Logged

Tar Elenion
Wight

Member # 211

Member Rated:

posted September 14, 2002 02:02 PM
The 'Scientific Version' annotation is on pg 218, note 23. It points out that the Sun and Moon existed before the Elves awoke in the (revised) Hobbit.
--------------------

Tar-Elenion

The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote