View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I generally disliked all of the Hobbit movies and can barely watch them. My criticisms of AUJ would generally mirror yours. To expand briefly, I hated all of the Radagast scenes, disliked the depiction of the Great Goblin, and was not fond of the White Council-ish scenes. I did like the Riddle Game. All else I could take or leave and, in my view, AUJ was the best of the three. This says little for the balance.

I agree that the expansion of a medium sized book into three movies was ill-advised, at best, and naked profiteering at worst. I also agree that PJ seems to have attempted to maintain the different tones presented by The Hobbit and LOTR; children's story vs. adult myth. But PJ's depictions of the characters and the story seemed simultaneously too juvenile generally and overly exaggerated where action scenes were shown. For example, I thought that the Dwarves were too buffoonish and the Goblin Town escape overblown.